Meet one of the newest members of The Maritime Aquarium: the cubera snapper!
Here’s five fast facts about this fanged fish (say that five times fast!)
The cubera snapper is:
- Equipped with large, sharp teeth, which allow them to feed on crustaceans and other fish.
- Found mostly in the Caribbean, but can be found as far north as Massachusetts and as far south as Brazil.
- The largest species of snapper and can weigh up to 125 pounds.
- Classified as a vulnerable species on the IUCN Red List.
- Known to spawn in the late summer in off-shore reefs in groups of between 4,000 and 10,000 fish.
You can visit the cubera snapper in our Sea Turtles exhibit.